Tauondi Aboriginal College is…
a cultural service provider
Whether its government, private enterprise, local businesses, primary, secondary or tertiary educational institutes, Tauondi is proud to provide cultural awareness and competency programs across South Australia’s broader communities.
Tauondi’s cultural awareness and competency program consists of two components:
- A program is designed to bring about an understanding of Aboriginal culture, society and values in relation to contemporary society.
- A program allows participants to learn applied knowledge and skills that can be utilised in their workplace. The program assists participants in recruiting Aboriginal workers, retaining these workers and providing a mentoring service.
Session Plan (Sample)
|TOPIC 1||Aboriginal People (Pre-Contact)|
|Land and Country, Language, Dreaming, Lifestyle, Roles and Responsibilities, Kinship, Deaths and Burials|
|TOPIC 2||European Contact and Early Colonisation|
|Colonisation, Language/Culture Documentation, Removal of Children, Mission Life, Exemptions, Legislations and Loss of Language and Culture|
|Fight for Equality, Flags, Fringe Dwellers, Resistance, Referendum and Returning Home|
|Topic 3||Aboriginal Society Today|
|Reconciliation/Conciliation, Closing the Gap, Language and Culture Revival|
|Heritage, Native Title, Resistance, Education and Future Directions for Aboriginal People|
|Topic 4||Protocols, Terminology, Appropriateness and Understanding Aboriginal People|
|Improving Communication, Verbal/Non-Verbal, Use of Language, Stereotypes and Taboo Words, Respect|
Tauondi also supports the revitalisation of Aboriginal languages such as Kaurna and Ngarrindjeri. Working with language speakers and experts, both accredited courses and non-accredited programs in language are offered to Aboriginal people, strengthening their cultural identities.
Tauondi Cultural Performance
Tauondi takes bookings for cultural performances for your organisation, including:
- Welcome to Country … Welcome to Country performed by a Kaurna person.
- Acknowledgement of Country … Acknowledgement of Country performed by an Aboriginal person in Kaurna language.
- Didgeridoo Performance … Plain or traditional clothes, didgeridoo performance and explanation.
- Cleansing … Cleansing of guests and participants by smoke with song/chant
- Smoking Ceremony … Welcome to Country, Didgeridoo performance, song and cleansing
At least 2 weeks in advance booking is required.